2 cups fresh or frozen chopped onions (2 medium-large yellow onions) One 8-ounce package fresh shredded carrots 1 large bay leaf, crumbled ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled 2 ½ tablespoons bacon drippings, melted butter, or vegetable oil 1 pound lean ground lamb shoulder or lean ground beef chuck 1 cup frozen green peas (do not thaw) 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (do not thaw)
One 10 ½-ounce can beef consomme blended with 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon each Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce, ½ tablespoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½<br>teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss onions, carrots, bay leaf, and thyme in 1 ½ tablespoons drippings in shallow round or oval 2 ½ quart microwave-to-oven casserole.
2. Crumble in lamb, add peas, and toss again. Top with potatoes, distributing evenly.
3. Cover with plastic food wrap and microwave on High for 15 minutes.
4. Uncover, pour consomme mixture evenly over potatoes, then drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon drippings.
5. Transfer to oven and bake uncovered until bubbly and potatoes are tipped with brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve at once.