Posted By: lindah Date: Monday, 10 March 2003, at 7:15 a.m.
Franks Place New Orleans Gumbo
Yield: 6 servings
1 c Chopped onions 1 c Chopped celery 1 c Chopped green bell pepper 2 Cloves garlic,minced 1/4 c Butter or margarine 1/4 c Flour,all-purpose Salt to taste Pepper to taste 1 ds Tabasco sauce 5 Bay leaves 1 cn Tomatoes,drained(16oz) 1 c Tomato juice 5 c Hot water 3 c Shrimp,shelled/deveined 6 Small hard-shell crabs 24 Shucked oysters 1 lb Okra,chopped 3 c Hot cooked rice Chopped fresh parsley
1. In large Dutch oven, gently saute onion, celery and bell pepper in butter; add garlic and continue to sauce 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and slowly stir in flour.
3. Add salt, pepper, Tabasco, bay leaves, tomatoes and tomato juice; simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the hot water, shrimp, crabs, oysters, and okra; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
5. Spoon a few tablespoons cooked rice in each of six large soup bowls; ladle gumbo onto rice and garnish with parsley.